OPP #015: How to Safely Explore the Outdoors With Courtney Harvey
Today's Guest: Courtney Harvey
- Precautions and preparation steps to take before trekking out into nature, whether that is a local trail or an extended stay in the backcountry
- Common injuries and mistakes people make while in nature
- What safety and outdoor gear and food to pack for both day hikes and multi-day hikes
- Importance and benefits of different types of clothing and materials depending on the season
- Safety tips for your canine trail buddy
- Drinking water safety tips
- Trash and human waste disposal methods
- Fire safety tips
- Wildlife safety tips
- Steps to take to prevent getting lost and what to do if you do get lost
- How to assess and mitigate risk
- Treating hypothermia and hypothermia
- What level of safety and first aid training you should get
- And so much more!
Resources and Links:
- SOLO (Stoneheart Outdoor Learning Opportunities) School
- Global Rescue Medical & Security Evacuation
- Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics
- Understanding Down Fill – info article
Note: Some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I receive a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
Recommended Product Links:
- Patagonia Houdini Jacket: Men’s, Women’s
- Patagonia Better Sweater Options: Men’s, Women’s
- Darn Tough and Smartwool Socks for hiking
- Garmin InReach SE Satellite Communication Device
- Packable Down Blanket (Woobie)
- Cravat Triangular Bandage
- Vet Wrap
- Rolled gauze
- SAM Splint
- Rite in the Rain Book
- Battle Board Notebook
- Emergency Dog Carrying Harness
- SteriPEN Adventurer UV Water Purifier
- Platypus GravityWorks High-Capacity Water Filter System
- Two-Sided Orange and Reflective Blanket/Tarp
Thanks for Listening!
Enjoying the podcast?
Please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts/iTunes. It only takes a minute, and ratings and reviews are extremely helpful in getting the word out about the show, convincing hard-to-get guests, and are greatly appreciated by me!
I read each and every one of them, so thank you!
Submit a Question:
Have a question you’d like to have answered on the podcast? It’s easy! Just find a quiet location, hit the button below, and record your question. We’ll do our best to answer it on an upcoming Tidbit Tuesday episode. Thanks!
Don’t forget to follow the show to get automatic updates about new episodes.
Want to help support the show? Show some love by buying me a coffee! A little goes a long way – and I appreciate it!